Master of Arts
The Master of Arts in Psychology blends scientific theory and principles with academic research and applicable skills that are sought by industry professionals. This online degree program emphasizes the factors related to human behavior including lifespan development, social and cultural diversity, assessment, personality, and psychopathology. Through the online classroom, you will interact with peers and instructors who share your passion for psychology and for enhancing human mental health and well-being. This online psychology program should not be considered a terminal degree in the field, but rather is designed to prepare you for doctoral or other graduate studies while further developing the knowledge and skills needed to achieve career advancement.
The curriculum for this online master’s program is reviewed by an advisory council of industry experts for relevancy to today’s marketplace. Course topics include:
- Theories and research methods
- Research and statistical methods of psychology
- Psychological testing, design, scoring, reliability, and validity
- Lifetime human development, human cognition, and learning
- Cultural issues and social influences effect on human functions
- Personality development, counseling, and psychotherapy
- Physiological processes impacting normal and pathological behavior
- Ethical, legal, and moral issues facing professional psychologists
- Multicultural issues in human behavior
- Substance abuse and addiction
In addition to the institutional and degree level learning objectives, graduates of this program are expected to achieve these learning outcomes:
- Examine historical and contemporary trends occurring across multiple domains of theory, research, and practice within the field of psychology.
- Apply core concepts of psychology to normal and abnormal individual, social, cultural, and organizational functioning.
- Construct discipline-relevant research proposals.
- Evaluate scholarly resources pertinent to the discipline.
- Write competently in accordance with the standards of the American Psychological Association.
- Investigate professional opportunities, responsibilities, and challenges experienced by practitioners within the discipline.
- Apply the Ethical Principles of the American Psychological Association.
Degree at a Glance
- Number of Credits 39
- Max Transfer Credits 15
- Tuition Per Credit $350 | $325 with military grant
- Program Length 2 years full time
- Program Format Online | Monthly course starts
- Program Director Colleen Lindecker
- View all courses
- Gainful employment
- Apply Now
- Request Info
School of Arts Humanities
This program resides in the American Public University School of Arts & Humanities which provides the traditional nuts and bolts programs that can help you acquire the innovative thinking, flexibility, and problem solving abilities that employers value. In fact, our general studies and psychology programs in the School of Arts Humanities rank in the top-10 most popular programs at APU.
While many college students today choose a direct education path that leads to in-demand careers in science and technology, a solid undergraduate liberal arts education can provide you with a strong foundation to pursue post-graduate programs in a variety of areas. “In my conversations with industry advisory councils, employers emphasize that while they can train new hires in processes and content, they can’t train what the humanities teach, which is effective written and oral communication, teamwork, critical thinking, and professionalism,” states School of Arts Humanities Dean Grace Glass.
At APU, we understand your need for flexibility because most of our students are working adult learners balancing school around work and life commitments. This is why we offer 8-week or 16-week online courses that start monthly. Through an online virtual classroom, you’ll communicate with students and professors in forum communities as you work to complete your weekly written assignments on your own schedule from anywhere in the world. And with our mobile application, you can even work offline and upload your assignments when you reconnect.
We encourage you to browse the School of Arts & Humanities webpage to learn more about our what’s happening in the school and to find a program that’s right for you.
If you’re ready to move forward, we’re ready to take you there.
American Public University System, 111 W. Congress Street, Charles Town, WV 25414 | Toll Free: 877-755-2787
American Public University System, American Public University, and American Military University are not affiliated with American University or the U.S. Military.