September Maintenance Tip:
Turn on your furnace before the temperatures drop to make sure it is still working properly. This will ensure you have enough time to address any issues before Minnesota winter weather arrives.
- Preseason operation checks ensure that your system is working properly and alert you to any potential problems, avoiding delays in service when you really need your system to work.
Spring: On the first 70° day of spring, try your air conditioner.
Fall: On the first 60° day of fall, try your furnace.
- Check the fuse, or circuit breaker, and on/off switch before contacting our Service Department if your furnace or air conditioner won’t start.
- Keeping the furnace fan running continually helps provide a more even temperature in your home, and is more efficient for your air conditioner.
Air Cleaners and Air Filters
- APRILAIRE 2200, 2210 AND 2400 – On average the filter needs to be replaced annually. Households will differ so check every 6 months and change more often if needed.
- 4″ THICK BOX FILTER – On average these need to be replaced every 6 months.
- 1″ FILTERS – These filters should be changed every month.
Air Conditioner: OutsideCondenser
Your air conditioning’s condenser and evaporator components includes refrigerant, electrical connections, a coil, a fin, a line set, a blower, a pump, a thermostat and other parts. All of these components and parts should be inspected and maintained at least annually to prevent breakdowns and costly repairs.
- Spring: Wash the outside of the coil off with a garden hose (no pressure washers) to remove any debris such as cotton seed.
- Winter Prep: Wash the outside of the coil off before shutting down, place a piece of plywood on top of the unit with a brick on it to hold it in place to prevent snow and ice from falling and collecting on the fan blades. If you choose to fully cover the condenser, purchase a good quality canvas cover designed for outside condensers. We sell them for our products if you wish to purchase.
- All types need to have the outside screens on the intakes cleaned at least once a year.
- Non-HEPA style – In the spring clean the inside filters, pull the core, and soak in mild soapy water for about 3 hours. Then rinse and leave out to dry for a couple of days.
- HEPA air exchangers require new filters every 6 months and a new core once a year.
Batter-Operated Smoke Alarms CO2 Detectors
Check and replace the batteries during Daylight Savings Time changes in spring and fall.
Avoid costly repairs and keep your boiler running at peak efficiency. An annual inspection by one of our expertly trained boiler service technicians will give you the confidence, and assurance knowing that you’re getting the most out of your boiler. It’s important to do an annual check for natural gas and carbon monoxide leaks, especially if your boiler is several years old.
During boiler maintenance, a technician will test every aspect of your boiler system including checking safety controls, water levels, and relieving air. Keeping your boiler running at its best will ensure maximum home comfort while reducing your utility bills, and avoiding untimely repairs. Learn more about our boiler maintenance plan .
- Check boiler pressure; make sure it matches what you were told it should be for your home.
- Bleed the radiators (not the baseboard ones) once a year in the fall.
- Refill boiler with water as needed. We provide boiler maintenance.
Newer models of boilers are more sophisticated and complex, requiring annual maintenance to run at their expected efficiency.
Remove plug on top of the condensate pump and pour a cap full of bleach inside the pump to cleanse the drain line approximately every 3 months.
Electronic Air Cleaners
- APRILAIRE 5000 – Replace the filter every 6 months to 1 year or as needed. Clean the control electrode every 3-6 months.
- DYNAMIC – Check and replace filter every 2-4 months.
- HONEYWELL – Check the cells every month, clean as needed. The cells can be washed in the dishwasher. Check the pre-filter every 1-6 months.
Fancoil (Blower Coils)
- For attic systems, make sure to clear the water out of the drain line in the fall to prevent water from freezing and cracking the line. You can either run some antifreeze (pink RV) in the drain or blow it out with air. You could also run your system in the fan mode for a few days prior to shutting it down to dry out the drain.
- It is also a good idea to cover the registers to keep warm air out of the ducts in the winter. This can lead to condensation buildup and water leaking at the registers. An easy way to stop airflow in the return is to replace the filter in the return with a new one still in the plastic (DON’T FORGET TO REMOVE IN THE SPRING).
- Follow instructions for outside condensers listed under “Air Conditioners.”
Humidifier Control for summer shut-off mode:
- Digital Humidifier Control in Automatic Mode – No adjustment is necessary .
- Digital Humidifier Control in Manual Mode – Set the knob to the “OFF” position .
- Manual Humidifier Control – Set the knob to the “OFF” position .
Change the water panel annually in the fall season before the furnace runs.
For Aprilaire (AA) Models 400, 400M, 500, 500M, 600 and 600M, close the bypass damper (which is the part of the humidifier with a small damper handle) for summer mode, and open it for winter operation.
If you see condensation on windows, turn the control down one number for 48 hours before readjusting, continue adjusting over time until no condensation appears on windows. See owner’s manual for further guidance on humidity settings.
Replace the batteries once a year if applicable, usually 2 AAs.
Providing the Comfort You Deserve. Since 1930.