LGBTI Travel Information #travel #mexico

#gay travel

LGBTI Travel Information

By fighting for the rights of so many others, we realize that “gay rights are human rights, and human rights are gay rights.” Secretary Clinton – December 6, 2011 Attitudes and tolerance toward lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and intersex (LGBTI) persons vary from country to country, just as they vary among U.S. cities and states. Most LGBTI travelers encounter no problems while overseas, but it helps to be prepared and research your destination before you go. There are a number of countries that provide legal protections to those who are LGBTI. Unfortunately, there are others that do not, and a significant number that even criminalize consensual same-sex sexual relations. Persons convicted in these countries could be sentenced to prison, and/or be punished by fines, deportation, flogging, or even sentenced to death. Before choosing one’s international destination, LGBTI travelers should carefully consider the laws and biases of their international destination and decide how open one can be regarding one’s sexual orientation or gender identity. Personal judgment and knowledge of local laws and customs before one goes will help ensure your safety. Consult our Country Specific Information and links available throughout this document for other helpful resources.

Before You Travel

Where can I find this information?

  • Invest in a good current guide book – many specialize in advice to LGBTI travelers
  • The Internet and the press that specializes in LGBTI issues are also good resources
  • Your travel agent or tour operator might have information about LGBTI issues, particularly in the more popular holiday destinations
  • Local LGBTI groups are an excellent source of information about local laws and attitudes
  • Sign up for the State Department’s Smart Traveler Enrollment Program

Does the U.S. Department of State publish information about harassment or arrests of LGBTI travelers or residents?

The Special Circumstances sections of some Country Specific Information documents, which are available on the Bureau of Consular Affairs website. contain information about attitudes, harassment, or arrests relating to LGBTI travelers. The annual Human Rights Report that the State Department publishes also includes a section specifically regarding sexual orientation and gender identity in each country.

What documents should LGBTI individuals or families carry when traveling abroad?

The Department of State recommends that individuals carry legal/health documents that facilitate authorization for medical treatment or access in the event of a medical emergency while abroad. Parents should consider carrying documents regarding parentage and/or custody for accompanying minor children. Carry contact information for people in the United States, both legal and familial, and share your travel itinerary with someone in the United States. Program the contact information for the U.S. embassy or consulate in the countries you’re visiting into your phone. Check with that country’s embassy or consulate in the United States to learn about any special documentation requirements.

How do I document a change of name through marriage?

What is the policy of the U.S. Department of State regarding the passport identity of transgender travelers?

How can I find HIV entry requirements of foreign countries?

The Department of State publishes Country Specific Information for every country on the Bureau of Consular Affairs’ website. We include HIV/AIDS entry restrictions, or lack of restrictions, in the section entitled Entry/Exit Requirements for U.S. Citizens. In some instances, the Country Specific Information refers travelers to that country’s embassy or consulate for additional information.

What is the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program?

The Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) is a free service provided by the U.S. government to U.S. citizens who are traveling to, or living in, a foreign country. STEP allows you to enter information about your upcoming trip abroad so that the Department of State can provide you with current Travel Warnings, Alerts, and Country Specific Information. STEP also allows U.S. citizens abroad to get emergency and security messages from the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate. Most importantly, the embassy or consulate will be able to locate and assist you in an emergency. When enrolling in STEP, be sure to include an email address or phone number where you can be reached while traveling.

While You’re There

What are some issues to be aware of while traveling abroad?

  • Be a responsible tourist. Avoid potentially risky situations, and don’t do anything that you wouldn’t do at home!
  • Remember that you are subject to the laws and the judicial process of the country you’re visiting
  • Avoid excessive physical displays of affection in public, particularly in more conservative countries or regions
  • If you intend to frequent Internet chat rooms or other meeting places, it’s wise to find out about the local situation – police in some countries have been known to monitor such sites and locales with the intention of carrying out entrapment campaigns
  • Be wary of new-found “friends” – criminals sometimes exploit the generally open and relaxed nature of the LGBTI scene
  • If you receive unwelcome attention or unwelcome remarks, it’s usually best to ignore them
  • Some resorts or LGBTI neighborhoods can be quite segregated. Be aware that local residents may not approve of expressions of sexuality when you are in surrounding areas
  • You’re more likely to experience difficulties in rural areas, so exercise discretion
  • Some hotels, especially in rural areas, won’t accept bookings from same-sex couples. It’s best to check before you go.

What should I do if I run into problems while overseas?

The American Citizens Services (ACS) Section of the U.S. embassy or consulate may be able to help you if you run into problems overseas, especially if you feel that you can’t approach the local police or encounter difficulties with local authorities. Consular officers will protect your privacy, and will not make generalizations, assumptions, or pass judgment.

Our consular officers monitor and record incidents U.S. citizens report to them about the treatment they receive from host authorities. Our embassies regularly raise issues of concern, especially inappropriate treatment or harassment of our citizens, with relevant officials.

Immigration Issues

How can I obtain a foreign residence and/or work permit so I can live abroad with my foreign national spouse/partner?

Check with that country’s embassy or consulate in the United States to learn about any special documentation requirements (such as work authorization or a residence visa). You can also find foreign embassy and consulate contact information in the Country Specific Information for each country.

For visa questions related to same-sex spouses, please visit our Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA) FAQ page.

Other useful links

  • State Department LGBT Human Rights Issues Fact Sheet
  • White House LGBT Fact Sheet
  • Travelers Checklist – Extensive information on the Bureau of Consular Affairs’ website
  • IGLTA, the International Gay/Lesbian Travel Association – Assists with finding LGBTI owned and welcoming travel related businesses in over 75 countries
  • International Lesbian and Gay Association – Provides information on gay rights around the world, and contains a map which highlights potentially dangerous regions and countries


The U.S. Department of State assumes no responsibility for the professional ability or integrity of the private organizations whose links appear above. The inclusion of the websites above on does not constitute an endorsement or recommendation of the U.S. Department of State. Additionally, the Department of State has not verified the veracity of information included on those website nor is the Department of State involved in updating the information on websites maintained by private groups or organizations.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.