#real estate agent
How to Become a Real Estate Agent
Have you been wondering how to become a real estate agent. but the information on the Internet is leaving you wanting more? In that case, you are lucky to find this site. This article will give you all of the information you need to become a real estate agent and get your career on the road.
Becoming a real estate agent is fairly easily obtainable for most people and serves itself as an excellent career choice, but as with most things in life the journey to success may be difficult, which means you have to want it. Real estate often requires lots of hard work, some long hours and dedication if you plan to excel in the industry, top agents are at the top for a reason, because thats what they wanted and they worked to get it. If you are ready to work for your success and have a genuine desire to become a real estate agent, you have already accomplished more than most people entering this field.
Below I am going to lay out some of the generic requirements for getting your real estate license, these should be used as a guide or checklist of things to expect while going through the licensing process. Depending on the state in which you reside, these requirements will surely vary to a certain extent as every state requires different things. So here you go:
1. Most states will require that you are at least 18 years of age or older at the time of application, a few others do have a minimum age of 21.
2. You will need to fill out a real estate license application for the state, applications can usually be downloaded from the Real Estate Commission website for you particular state, or the states Department of Licensing. Click on your state in the right sidebar for more information and a link to get your materials.
3. Most states require between 40 and 50 hours of pre-licensing courses in a state accredited facility. These courses will cost money and must be successfully completed before your license will be issued. There are a select few states that instead require college credit hours in real estate related courses.
4. You will typically be required to pay fees for application and licensing, these are usually around fifty dollars but can get significantly hire depending on the state.
5. Most states will not allow you to get your real estate license if you have any felony convictions in the U.S. or abroad within the last ten years.
6. The majority of states will require you to be assigned to a broker before receiving your real estate license, otherwise your license would be issued on an inactive status.
7. Some states do require that you complete post-licensing courses within one year after receiving your license. If you do not complete these requirements your license will usually be terminated.
There you have it, those are the most common requirements for getting your real estate license. As I mentioned above, these requirements will vary depending on your state so please take the time to consult your Real Estate Commission Board for specific requirements.
Now, if you are not sure you have what it takes to be a success in the real estate business keep reading.
Skills Required to Be a Real Estate Agent:
1. A real estate agent has to be a people person. The biggest obstacle standing in the way of your job and of course making those high commission sales are clients. Clients are looking to spend a lot of money on a home, so they need to be able to communicate and maybe more importantly, trust their agent, without that they will just find a new real estate agent that they can work with.
2. Real estate agents have to be timely and prompt. If you set a meeting with a client, plan on being there a few minutes early. I know this may seem like it goes without saying, but some people(you know who you are) just can not seem to show up on time for anything.
3. New agents should be ready to work hard, be dedicated and expect to put in some long hours. If you have trouble finding a way to fit these into your daily schedule, perhaps you should consider a nine to five type job that requires less commitment.
Well, what do you think? Do you have what it takes? Now you should not have to ask how to become a real estate agent. but rather why did I wait this long? Once you get your license, check out our article on marketing your real estate business online for some tips to kick start your website.