Home insurance: cheap house & contents insurance #life #insurance #online

#home insurance quotes

Grab 100+ insurance quotes & cashback

    By Rebecca and Tony | Edited by Johanna Updated November 2015

Check now if you can shave Ј100s off your home cover with our cost-cutting system.

What is home insurance?

There are three main home insurance policies: building, contents and combined building & contents cover. Buildings cover protects the structure, the fixtures and fittings in your home; while contents insurance covers your belongings.

Combined buildings & contents cover is only suitable for people who own their homes. If you rent, buildings cover should be handled by your landlord. Contents cover, however, is a policy that everyone should consider.

What is covered?

Included: What’s usually protected?

The contents part of your insurance protects you against damage and theft to possessions in your home, garage and shed. The buildings part protects the structure of your home and permanent fixtures and fittings, such as doors and sanitary equipment (baths, basins, toilets and showers). It can differ from policy to policy, but home insurance will usually cover damage from storms, flooding, earthquakes, fire, lightning, explosions, theft, riots and vandalism. It also covers damage from falling trees, motor vehicles and escaping water (such as a burst pipe). Your cover should also protect you against subsidence (a shifting of the ground, which can cause your house to sink).

Most policies will also cover the cost of a hotel or B