Follow the instructions below to submit a dispute for inaccurate items that appear in your Experian Credit Report.
To dispute items on your Experian Credit Report, the process is a bit longer and requires that you obtain an official Experian report. Below you will find instructions on how to obtain an Experian Credit Report for free. If you do not have an official Experian Credit Report, you will have to start by obtaining the report from AnnualCreditReport.com. The Fair Credit Act makes it possible for consumers like you to obtain one free copy of a credit report from each of the three bureaus, once a year.
Get Your Report from AnnualCreditReport.com:
- Start by going to AnnualCreditReport.com
- On the bottom half of the page, click on the button that says “Request your free credit reports ”.
- You will see the 3 steps required on the next page. Click on the button that says “Request your free credit reports ”.
- First, you will be asked to fill out a form with your identifying information, including your name, date of birth, social security number and home address.
- Next, you will be asked to select which reports you would like to receive. You can select to receive just your Experian report, or all three.
- You will then be directed to review your first report. You will be asked to repeat the last two steps to review all of your reports.
- For each report you will be asked to answer several identifying questions prior to being able to review your report. Make sure to print the reports that you receive so that you have a record of them.
If you already have a copy of your Official Experian Credit Report, start here:
Review your report to determine which items you want to dispute. When you are ready, visit the Experian Dispute Center to begin.
- Click Start a New Dispute Online and click Continue
- Since we already got the report from AnnualCreditReport.com, select yes to confirm that you already have a copy of your report, and click Continue.
- Select the report that looks most like the one you received. (The one on the left will probably resemble your AnnualCreditReport the most)
- You will be asked to confirm that you do know your Report number. Select yes and click Continue.
- Enter the information required on the page, including:
- Report Number
- Social Security Number
- Zip Code
- And agreeing to all Terms and Conditions
- After clicking submit, review the Report Summary provided.
- Select the category for which you would like to file a dispute. The categories are:
- Potentially Negative Items
- Accounts in Good Standing
- Requests for Your Credit History
- Personal Information
- Your Personal Statement
- Select an account to review details. To submit specific items for review, click the “Dispute This Item” link beside the item you want to dispute. Select the reason that best describes the reason for your dispute, and click the “Submit Your Dispute” button.
- Confirm your dispute by providing your email address.