DP3 vs. HO3

The DP3 refers to an insurance policy on a residential building, usually rented to others. The HO3 is reserved for homeowners, but not exclusivley for single-family homes.

If you own a multi family (2-4 family) property and live in one of the units, then you can usually use the tried, true, and tested HO-3 homeowners policy to cover the entire building, your contents (your stuff), and your own personal liability exposure.

However, if the owner does not live at the property, a homeowners policy won’t work; use a “Dwelling Fire Policy” to protect your interests properly. The most popular dwelling fire policy is the DP-3.

The DP-3 is popular because it is an “ Open Peril ” policy that covers losses to the home’s structure, loss of use or rental coverage, and usually personal liability. Contents (also known as personal property, such as furniture or appliances) are NOT automatcially included the same way as in the homeowners policy, but can be added.

If the owner insures a rental property with an HO-3, but lives elsewhere, it’s a bad fit; you risk NOT being covered for losses. Work with a professional agent like Gordon to steer you clear of such mistakes. Most rental 1-2 and 3-family properties that are not owner-occupied are insured under the DP-3. The table below compares features of the HO-3 to the DP-3.

Buildings with 3 and more families are most often insured through a commercial policy rather than either the DP-3 or HO-3 (though some insurance companies will insure up to a 4-family building using a DP-3). The most common approach with these larger buildings is a package which includes automatically both property coverage (for the building), lost rents, and liability protection in case you are sued.

Terms differ widely, so work with an agent or broker that represents multiple insurance companies, such as Gordon, to ensure the best possible fit, so you can sleep as well as your tenants.

For more guidance on which approach is best for you, contact us! Call us at 800-649-3252 to discuss your personal needs.

Homeowners vs. Dwelling Policy Comparison Chart

Homeowners Policy (HO-3)

Dwelling Fire Policy (DP-3)

The HO-3 has been the most common homeowner’s policy for 60 years and is adequate for the majority of homeowners and their insurance needs. For owners who live there.

The DP-3 is for rental properties that the owner does not occupy. It covers the basics of the house (dwelling) other coverages are not automatic: speak to us about customizing protection to your needs.

Coverage A

Dwelling. The amount of money your policy will pay to rebuild your home if it is destroyed.

Dwelling. The amount of money your policy will pay to rebuild your home if it is destroyed.

Coverage B

Other Structures. 10% of coverage A is automatically included. The amount your policy will pay to rebuild structures such as sheds garages.

Other Structures. Not automatic. Have a garage? Other outbuilding? Add optionally.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.