#cheap car rentals
Frequently Asked Car Rental Questions
Answers to questions we frequently get asked about car hire in NZ. If you have any others please ask us .
What is GST which we see it written next to prices?
All goods and services purchased in New Zealand are subject to 15% Goods and Services tax. This tax is included in our low car rental rates. You do not need to add this to the prices you see listed here. What you see is what you pay. No hidden extra costs!
What sort of driving license is required in New Zealand?
You can legally drive in New Zealand for up to 12 months if you have either a current driver s license from your home country, or an International Driving Permit.
All drivers, including overseas visitors, must carry their license or permit when driving. You will only be able to drive the same types of vehicles you are licensed to drive in your home country.
Make sure your overseas driver s license is current. If your license is not in English, you should bring an English translation with you or obtain an International Driving Permit. Contact your local automobile club for further details about obtaining a translation or an International Driving Permit.
What are New Zealand s Road Rules?
You can get more details here. but here s a brief over-view:
- In New Zealand, all vehicles drive on the left-hand side of the road.
- When the traffic light is red, you must stop.
- There is no left turn rule as in North America.
- Speed limits are strictly enforced by police using radar, speed cameras and un-marked patrol cars. Fines for speeding can be expensive.
- The speed limit on the open road is 100km/h (approx 60mph).
- In built up areas the speed limit is 50km/h (approx 30 mph).
- Drivers and passengers must wear seat belts at all times.
Car Rental Locations
“Was the best deal we could find and we looked hard. Very happy.” – Matt Boser (USA)
“Great for backpackers like us on a tight budget. Got to do more of the amazing things NZ offers with the money we saved. Awesome!” – Sue White (UK)