Indiana University Indiana University Indiana University
At IU, how do I forward my email?
Mail forwarding redirects incoming email for the Indiana University email domains (i.e., iu.edu , indiana.edu , iupui.edu , iue.edu , iuk.edu , iun.edu , iusb.edu , ius.edu ) to your preferred email service. Forwarding email is a good idea if you have accounts on more than one email service; unless you log into your account on each service regularly, you may have unread messages in one of the accounts. Choosing a preferred email service and then forwarding mail to it from your other accounts will ensure that any mail sent to your IU email address lands in the account where you read mail.
If you have an Exchange account, you should set Exchange as your preferred email service since messages sent between IU Exchange accounts land in your Exchange mailbox regardless of the preferred email service setting; see At IU, why am I not receiving all of my email?
Before setting your IU email address to forward to a non-IU service (e.g., Gmail, Hotmail, Yahoo!), note:
- UITScannot guarantee email delivery to non-IU accounts, delays in delivery can occur, and the UITS Support Center may not be able to help with some problems concerning non-IU accounts. If your email forwarding fails for any reason, you may miss important official communications sent to your IU address for which you are still responsible.
- Faculty, staff, residents, and students in HIPAA Affected Areas whose roles may require sharing protected health information (PHI) via email (e.g., Schools of Medicine, Dentistry, and Optometry) are not permitted to set up mail forwarding to outside accounts, as this could result in the violation of federal and state laws. For more, see HIPAA Privacy and Security.
To forward mail from one or more accounts to a preferred service, and thus avoid creating a mail forwarding loop, follow these steps in order:
- Remove mail forwarding at your preferred email service:
Choose one email service from which you will read mail; this will be your preferred service. Make sure there is no forward set on it by removing all mail forwarding from it. To do so, log into the service you wish to use as your preferred service, and then follow the appropriate steps below.
Setting delivery notifies the IU mail servers where to deliver mail addressed to your IU email address(es). Follow the instructions in Your email address delivery.
Referring to the instructions for different mail systems noted in step 1, forward mail on all your other services except your preferred service to your primary IU email address. To avoid creating a mail loop, do one of the following:
- Do not forward mail from your previous preferred service until the next day.
- Forward your previously preferred service to your new preferred service instead of your primary email address, and then revise its forwarding to your primary email address the next day.
Verify that your forwarding is working correctly by sending yourself test messages to and from each of your systems. For more, see At IU, how can I tell if my mail is forwarded?
This is document beoj in the Knowledge Base.