#auto insurance in texas
Financial Services Travel
Effective January 1, 2012, Baja California Norte implemented a new law requiring all drivers to carry Mexico Liability Insurance. The minimum coverage limit required is about $20,000 (271,000 pesos).
In the past, proof of financial responsibility was required only in the event of an accident (no matter how small). Now, the new law requires proof of Mexican liability insurance at all times. Drivers can now be asked for proof of insurance at checkpoints, border crossings, or traffic stops, and ticketed if they do not have proof of appropriate coverage.
U.S. insurance is invalid in Mexico, but luckily, Mexico liability insurance is easy to obtain in the U.S. and is generally quite affordable. All along the border, brokers sell policies to walk-in or even drive-through customers, with coverage available for a one day visit or longer.
Purchase Mexico liability insurance online and print your policy today, or visit your local AAA branch. Unless you decline the option, the policy includes TravelGold®, protecting you from the financial risks of emergency medical treatment and transportation. 1 We also insure RVs, trailers, and motorcycles.
To obtain Mexico liability auto insurance, you’ll need:
- The current registration (or photocopy) for each vehicle you wish to insure
- For rental vehicles, a rental agreement showing that the vehicle is authorized to enter Mexico
- If your vehicle is leased or financed, a notarized letter of authorization from the leasing company or lien holder permitting you to take the vehicle into Mexico
- For a borrowed vehicle, a notarized letter of authorization from the registered owner permitting you to take the vehicle into Mexico
If you’re involved in an accident or loss, do the following:
- Remain at the scene with the parties involved until authorities arrive
- Do not accept any responsibility, or make any arrangements with other parties involved
- Report all claims to your insurer before leaving Mexico. AAA’s Mexican broker provides a 24-hour, toll-free number for reporting claims in Mexico
If you suffer the total loss or theft of your vehicle in mainland Mexico (outside Baja California or mainland border towns), be sure to cancel/surrender your vehicle permit to authorities before leaving the country.
1 Mexico Insurance Policies through GNP are strictly for tourists and cannot be used for traveling on business-related matters. Compliance with Mexican government requirements remains the sole responsibility of the insured. AAA Texas acts only as an agent for Grupo Nacional Provincial.