#rental car specials
8 Ways to Save
- Plan well before renting and research rates.
- Check thoroughly for damage before you drive off.
- Watch out for fees, and forgo insurance coverage your existing policy covers.
Renting a car is one of those things you don’t give much thought to until the need arises. And when that happens, it’s best to know what to expect.
USAA recommends a little planning, research and careful examination before you drive away in your rental. These steps will help you avoid busting your budget when renting a set of wheels:
- Plan ahead. You’ll increase the odds of getting the model you want. This is especially true during heavy travel seasons when fewer cars are available. If the agency can’t provide the car you reserved, it will typically offer a complimentary upgrade.
- Do your research. Compare rates. Some websites boast coupon codes for renters. Memberships in USAA and motor clubs can help you score the best deals. You’ll also get additional offers like double upgrades.
- Fees add up. Your research should help you compare rates and not-so-transparent fees. Rental agencies make their steepest profits from insurance and other add-ons. But don’t take the bait. If your smartphone has a GPS, for instance, don’t be talked into adding a unit.